Morristown Rescue Squad began in 1974. Dr. Lewis Blowers and Copley Hospital’s President, John Whitcomb, advised the Selectmen that there was a need for an ambulance service in Morristown.
They contacted the Board of Alexander Hamilton Copley Trust Fund, who agreed to purchase the land, build the building, and buy the ambulance, if the town voted to maintain and support this by tax dollars and donations.
A squad was formed, trained, and the ambulance went into service at 6:00am on June 2nd, 1975. Morristown Rescue Squad has been able to provide continued service since that time.
A Board of Directors, voted on by the membership, governs Morristown Rescue. The town of Morristown governs Morristown EMS, (all full-time, part time staff and volunteer staff.) All members are expected to attend a monthly meeting/training, which meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month at 1800 hrs. To remain on active status, It is mandated that each volunteer member obligate themselves to take a (1) 12-hour shift a week, and a 12 hour shift every 5th weekend rotation. Scheduled hours are between 6:00 am to 6:00 pm, or 6:00 pm to 6:00 am, however there may be exceptions to this time schedule if it is difficult for an individual to work a 12-hour shift. Members who are on duty are expected to be within 6 minutes of the MRS facility.
Presently, we have approximately 20 volunteer members and 2 full time paid member, and 2 Part time members, serving our communities. The areas covered are Morristown, Elmore, and part of Wolcott. Membership is made up of CPR, EMR, EMT, AEMT, and NRP certified persons. MEMS has approximately 600 calls a year, about 1 and ½ calls a day.